In V3D land, I built kernel support for the Texture Formatting Unit (TFU) and started using it for glGenerateMipmaps() support. This unit will be also be important for reformatting linear dmabufs (such as from X11 with a linear-only scanout engine) or media decode output in SAND format into the UIF format that V3D can render from. The kernel side is in drm-misc-next, and I’ll land the Mesa side once it hits drm-next.
I also rewrote the V3D cache invalidation in the kernel thanks to feedback from Dave Emett on the hardware team. In the process, this fixed a 3ms(!) CPU-side wait on every job submission, which improved throughput by 4-10x. Now I know why my fancy new hardware felt so slow! I also landed new tracepoints for anyone else debugging execution (aka I could write good sysprof visualization now).
Now that cache management is less broken, I’ve started on resurrecting my old SSBO and shader image branches so that I can write CSD (compute shader) support and get the driver to GLES 3.1.
In the process of writing new kernel code, I found multiple regressions in DRM core during CTS runs. I rebased my old V3D IGT support and got it merged, and built new tests for replicating one of the failures (GPU hang recovery was broken).
The tinydrm work from the previous month also continued. I’ve polished kmsro some more (fewer driver symlinks, more loader knowledge of kmsro), and will be resubmitting soon I hope.
Since I had kmsro nearly working, I gave it a shot for a V3D testing idea from last month. Right now to get X11 running to do conformance runs on it, I’ve got a stub KMS implementation in a branch. If I could do buffer sharing between VKMS and V3D, then kmsro could bind the two together so that we didn’t need out-of-tree patches for V3D testing. It turned out that VKMS didn’t have PRIME support, so I used Noralf’s proposed shmem helpers to add it. I got X11 up and running and looking plausible, but tests were failing left and right. This may be due to the shmem helpers using cached CPU mappings, when we want WC for interaction with most GPUs. Because of issues like this, the shmem helpers for VKMS are stalled at the moment but I may land V3D support in kmsro anyway.
In vc4 land, the Bootlin folks have been knocking off more of the HVS TODO entries. Boris respun underscan support, and hopefully after the next revision we’ll be able to land it. He’s also implemented H/V flipping of planes, which will be useful in some cases for 180-degree rotated displays. (For 90 degree rotations, we would need panel support for it as the HVS can’t go that way). Paul is taking over Boris’s load tracker work and is building tests for it to determine how accurate it is in predicting underflows.
Finally, for vc4 I got permission to write a driver for the PM block that controls power and reset. So far the only thing Linux uses the block for directly is the watchdog timer (which also performs reboots by letting the watchdog timer fire quickly). For power domains, we’ve been using my raspberrypi-power driver to talk to the Raspberry Pi firmware. However, we should be able to do things more reliably, and implement GPU reset properly, if we expose power domains and a reset controller from the PM block. I wrote a series that moves the PM block to a new MFD driver, binds the watchdog driver to it, and adds a new soc driver for power domains and reset. So far, I’ve only tested this driver for V3D power domains and reset, but it looks good and gets more of the Raspberry Pi platform supported in fully open source code.